Friday, February 11, 2011

Floral February birthdays

Two people who are very special to me are celebrating their birthdays today: my friend Carly and my mother-in-law, Laura! The cards I made for them are probably my two favorite so far. I started out with the same pack of stickers for both cards and made variations using two different color themes. Click on any of the pictures for a closer look, and you can even magnify them from there!


I loved being able to use the same set of embellishments but make such individualized cards for each of them! I saw the light purple and thought it would be great for Mom, since it's such a soft, delicate, graceful color. To tie in the colors on the flowers, I used a light teal for accent paper as well as a nice, antique-looking floral paper with the purple, teal and green colors in it. I believe there is some writing on the floral pattern, a smudged script that's not really readable but adds a pretty touch. As I was making the "Happy Birthday, Mom!" detail, I thought of using my patterned scissors to finish off that antique feel the floral paper gives.


For Carly's card, I went with a darker teal that so reminds me of her, as well as a more modern take on the floral pattern. This paper had a slight shiny texture, and some of the flower petals had [a tasteful amount of] glitter on them. My biggest challenge with this one was making sure I didn't overdo the stickers. (I always tend to want to overdo things! :P) There were so many cute stickers in this color scheme that I decided to use them as a border between the floral paper and the light teal accent color, keeping the blues and the teals together and transitioning between the two with a lighter-colored flower. I even put one flower embellishment (the third from the left) at the end of a curl on the design so it was incorporated into the pattern. I loved being able to use the horizontal layout, and I think it worked really well here.


I have one set of stickers left from this package, a light brown-gray color, and I think I know just who I want to use them for. But my lips are zipped for now! Tomorrow, I'll post a Valentine's Day preview! :)

2 comments:

  1. I got my card and it is beautiful. Thank you so much! You certainly know my favorite colors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are gorgeous Kati!! Talented! :)

    ReplyDelete